Sunday, January 18, 2015

DIY Powder Laundry Detergent

Sorry for this quick post.
I have a request for the recipe.
I will be making a new batch for a upcoming swap. Step by step instructions will be worked at that time.

Supplies Needed:
1 - 4lb. 12 oz. Borax
1 - 4lb. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 - 55 oz. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
2 bars Zote (When making for myself I use white; when making for others I use pink so they know it is there and I also know that isn't my stock.)    :)

Oxi-Clean:
For every day clothes; Not needed
For Mildly dirty clothes; 1 small container of Oxi-Clean
For Heavily dirty clothes; 2 small container of Oxi-Clean
(I use one container)

When you know you are getting low...
Shred your bars of Zote in advance of needing it. Takes minutes to do.

I lay shreds out thin. Sprinkle with baking soda.

Toss and lay flat every few days adding more baking soda as needed to help dry shredded Zote out.

When it is time to mix your batch Zote should be dry. Take your hands and crumble up as much as you can with your hands. (My teens and 21 year old enjoy doing this as if its a sandbox.)

Place crumbles Zote in a large metal strainer [Like This].

Open Borax, Baking Soda, Washing Soda boxes add a little of each to the crumbles Zote.

Put large metal strainer in larger container I use a low sided tote.

With electric beater start mixing with beaters against sides of strainer. Add more Borax, Baking Soda, Washing Soda when you see it is just Zote led tin strainer. Beat - Add - Beat - Add - Beat - Add....

At the end you will have some Zote that hasn't gone through strainer.

I used a scoop like this to save my fingers. Scrape with the bottom of scooper in to the soap. It will stick into threads of strainer. Keep scraping in that area till you are metal to metal. Do this over another area with Zote. This shouldn't take long but is the most elbow grease needed in this whole precess.









No comments:

Post a Comment